Coincidentally, I stumbled across a recipe for chocolate pudding using avocado as the main ingredient. Out of mild skepticism and curiosity I decide to give it a go……and the result? Surprisingly very good!!!
Whats great about this recipe is that many of the ingredients are produced right here in the UAE i.e. honey, dates, milk. Now I did make a few amendments and substitutions to the recipe so here is dubaifitnessjunkie tried and tested version!
- 2 ripe Avocados
- 3-4 dates (pitted and with soft skin so as fresh as possible. If you don’t have access to fresh dates then you can soak dried dates for 15 minutes or so in warm water and remove the skin)
- 1-2 tablespoons of honey (you can replace one tablespoon of honey with 1/2 teaspoon of stevia)
- coconut, vegetable or avocado oil (I used coconut and could taste it in the pudding. I would recommend vegetable oil for an unobtrusive flavour)
- 2-3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (adjust to taste….the more cocoa powder you add, the richer the final product)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1.5 pods of vanilla
- milk (any type- almond, skimmed, soy, camel!)
Place all ingredients (except for the milk) into a blender and blend. If you have a powerful blender then you can just chuck everything in. If not I would add the oil first, then everything else.
This chocolate mix can be kept thick and used as a frosting for cakes, or watered down with milk to make chocolate pudding (pictured). Once the main ingredients are mixed, add milk gradually to adjust the consistency to taste.
The end product is very rich, so you don’t need to eat a lot of it to satisfy that chocolate craving! Makes about 4 servings